Nightlife in Gothenburg
Beer and breweries
With an impressive and growing number of craft breweries, Gothenburg is now considered one of the best places internationally to enjoy craft beer. Here are five beer venues worth visiting in Gothenburg:
- Brewers Beer Bar, at Tredje Långgatan 8, is a bar with a cheerful and friendly atmosphere where you will find a selection of craft beers that are regularly renewed. And if you're feeling peckish, try their delicious homemade pizzas!
- Dugges Bryggeri, one of Gothenburg's first microbreweries, opened its own Dugges Pils beer bar at Plantagegatan 3A in early 2021, serving (among other things!) draught beers and light bites with international influences.
- Located in the old industrial district of Ringön at Manufakturgatan 2, Vega Bryggeri recently launched their own taproom, a hip new spot for fans of craft beers with innovative blends.
- Opened in 2010, Ölstugan Tullen has been so successful that there are now eight Ölstugan Tullen bars in Gothenburg. The concept? A wide selection of beer from Swedish breweries and traditional Swedish cuisine – combining quality and affordability.
- 3 Små Rum located next to Avenyn at Kristinelundsgatan 4 is another cosy place that beer lovers should visit. Their motto: "Don't ask for 'blask'" – 'blask' being Swedish slang for a poor-quality drink.
Bars in Gothenburg
Gothenburg is a lively city by day and by night, with plenty of good places to have a drink and try new cocktails, not to mention some great food.
- Bar Bruno is a small bar located at Kyrkogatan 13, entirely dedicated to cocktails. Whether you're in the mood for a classic drink or looking for a new taste experience, Bar Bruno is the cocktail bar for you. The classic and timeless interior complements the warm and intimate atmosphere well.
- If you're looking for a bar to start your evening, head to Barabicu at Rosenlundsgatan 4. This lively and vibrant place serves delicious cocktails and a menu with an appetizing list of dishes, some of which are to be shared.
- Zamenhof, at Esperantoplatsen 5, is an inclusive, youthful and lively place where three different concepts cohabit: Café Gazette, Silver Lining and MayDay. Open all day from Monday to Saturday, head to Silver Lining for atypical cocktails with surprising flavours.
- Located in the Folkteatern theatre on Järntorget square, the Folk bar and restaurant is a great place to have a drink before going to the theatre or to spend the evening. Don't miss the oyster happy hour on Fridays.
- For a bar bathed in the colours of the Basque Country, go to the popular Basque at Magasinsgatan 3. In addition to their great pintxos, which you can enjoy standing or sitting depending on the space available, the emphasis here is on drinks with a generous list of non-alcoholic drinks.
- Another bar to try is La Lune at Vasa Kyrkogata 1, an intimate wine bar from chef and sommelier Oskar Ahlvin, that offers an impressive selection of natural and classic wines.
Clubs in Gothenburg
When it comes to nightlife and lively places to go out, Gothenburg won’t let you down.
- Lounge(s) at Kungsportsavenyen 5, is a popular Avenyn nightclub spread over several floors and with a particularly popular roof terrace.
- Right next door at Kungsportsavenyen 9 is 8ight, an exclusive club in Gothenburg where you need to reserve a table or be on the list to get in.
- Yaki-Da at Storgatan 47 is one of the city's hottest nightclubs. The venue includes a restaurant, multiple dance floors, a terrace and a coffee bar where you can dance to DJs and live performances all night long.
- Popular with the LGBTQ+ community, Gretas, at Drottninggatan 35, is the city's oldest gay nightclub and has two dance floors with a variety of music.