Chocolate slices ('Chokladsnittar') – recipe
Recipe by top patisserie chef Mia Öhrn.
Makes approximately 40 cookies.
Oven temperature: 200°C or 392°F.
Preparation time: 30 minutes.
- 200 g (7 ounces) butter, softened
- 250 ml (2 ½ dl or 1,1 cup) caster sugar
- 500 ml (5 dl or 2,1 cups) plain flour
- 4 tbsp cocoa powder
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 egg
- 1 egg
- Pearl sugar (this Swedish favourite can be replaced with sprinkles/hundreds and thousands)
- Beat butter and sugar with a wooden spoon or electric whisk. Add the rest of the ingredients and blend until you have a dough.
- Divide the dough into four parts. Shape each one into a roll and place them on greaseproof baking sheets.
- Flatten the rolls slightly and add a thin layer of the beaten egg with a brush. Sprinkle the rolls with pearl sugar or sprinkles.
- Bake in the middle of the oven for 12-15 minutes.
- Allow to cool for one minute and cut each length while still hot into 2 cm wide, diagonal slices. The cookies keep for about a week at room temperature and can also be frozen.
Vegan alternative: Use plant-based margarine instead of butter and replace the egg with two tablespoons of water. To decorate, exclude the egg for brushing, and gently press the pearl sugar or sprinkles/hundreds and thousands into the cookies before baking.