Gothenburg. It’s a little bit different…
From world-class eateries – drawing in visitors from round the world – to some of the most “Instagrammable” bars and pop-ups you’ll ever come across, Gothenburg is rightly labelled Sweden’s culinary capital.
Nowhere better encapsulates Sweden’s laid-back feel – nor Scandinavian style – than Gothenburg. Arguably Sweden’s most welcoming city, expect to immediately feel at home while you explore the city centre on foot, and its effortlessly trendy cafés and shops.
A vibrant music and nightlife scene – including the famed Way Out West music festival – will keep your evenings busy, while the city also makes the perfect base for exploring Sweden’s exquisite West (locally known as “best”) coast.
- Fika at Da Matteo, a Gothenburg institution, the coffee shop is one of the originals to bring a different sort of coffee culture to the city. There are a few branches, but in summer you should make a beeline for the one at Vallgatan which has a large outdoor seating area in front of the mural (and there’s a wonderful little secret garden at the back).
- A boat trip with the Paddan boat, this hour-long trip is a lovely introduction to the city and some of its stories.
- Go for a swim and sauna in the open air urban swimming pool at Frihamnen Harbour.
- A trip to the Botanical garden, what better place to enjoy a little nature in the middle of a city than the beautiful Botanical gardens.
- Café Gazette, where the cool kids hang out in the evening, this bar and restaurant offer tasty modern tapas style dishes.